Mosier Valley was the first all black community in Texas. It was established a few years after the Civil War, primarily by former black slaves.
In the period 1900 to 1930 the community reached a peak population of about 300 people. It was never measured separately in a census. The community was made up entirely of black people who received only a minimal education at the Mosier Valley School. There was little opportunity for them to be a part of the white communities that existed in Hurst, Euless and Bedford. The social life in Mosier Valley focused on church and school
Because of the lack of education and income other than from small farms, the community was not able to organize to establish water and sewage systems. There were not community services and each family assumed responsibility for all aspects of the home. By the 1920’s the automobile provided a means to travel to the surrounding metropolitan areas and obtain jobs that provided a larger income. Even with that opportunity, the jobs were limited mostly to service and labor activity.
In the 1940’s the Mosier Valley School was part of the Euless School District. Since the school had few students and was in poor condition, the Euless school superintendent decided to close the Mosier Valley School and transfer the students to “colored” schools in Fort Worth. With the help of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, parents of the Mosier Valley students obtained an opinion from a United States District Judge that students had a right to be educated in their own district. On September 4, 1950, parents of the Mosier Valley students attempted to enroll their children in the Euless School. They were repelled by a crowd of white people and eventually returned to their homes. The Euless School district did, however, repair the Mosier Valley School building to make it useable as classrooms. It existed until 1968 when it was closed and the Euless school district was fully integrated.
There are two historical markers in Mosier Valley. They are:
Site of Mosier Valley School
In 1870, former slaves Robert and Dilsie Johnson received a 40-acre tract of land as a wedding gift from plantation owner Lucy Lee. Soon other freedmen settled in Mosier Valley, and in 1883 a community school was organized. A schoolhouse, built at this site about 1924, served as a focal point for the surrounding area. It was replaced by a brick structure in 1953. Mosier Valley students were integrated in 1969. Today the site serves as a reminder of the area's earliest citizens and as a symbol of the community's rich heritage. (1983)
Saint John Missionary Baptist Church
In 1874 a small group of former slaves met at the the home of Frank Young and organized this congregation, which originally was named Oak Grove Baptist Church. During the late 19th-century pastorate of the Rev. Jim Carroll, the name was changed to St. John, and a two-story church and Masonic lodge building was constructed near this site on land donated by Tennessee Blackburn. The congregation built its own sanctuary here in 1911. Throughout its history, St. John Missionary Baptist Church has been a source of service and leadership for the Mosier Valley Community
In 1960 Mosier Valley was annexed by the City of Fort Worth. No zoning ordinances were designated for the area. As a result, commercial business and industry began to locate in the area since there was no prohibition to protect the residential area. Today few people live in the area.
Two people who were early residents of Mosier Valley were interviewed by members of the Euless Historical Preservation Committee in 2006. One of them, Beatrice Parker Green was one of the parents who attempted to enroll the Mosier Valley students in the Euless School on September 4, 1950. The transcription of those interviews follows.